Over 40 Years’ Experience
Our extensive background and depth of experience provide a solid foundation for all your crane & rigging safety needs.
Dave Decker, founder of Becket Training & Consulting has developed and delivered crane & rigging training to government and private interests around the world.
He has more than 40 years of experience in crane & rigging work with over 20 years of service on ASME committees: Board of Safety Codes and Standards, B30 committees, and the ASME P30 main committee. He has been involved with many high dollar value one-of-a-kind lifts and large-scale projects involving nuclear and high-risk operations. Dave provides training, consulting services, crane & rigging safety review, expert witness/litigation services and is available as a public speaker.
Before his retirement, Dave was the charter crane and rigging training program manager at the U.S. Navy Crane Center, defining the Navy’s crane training program and developing the organization. He instituted and led the development of the Navy-wide crane & rigging training program for shore-based cranes and rigging at over 250 Navy activities worldwide.
In 2005, Dave was awarded the Department of Defense Meritorious Civilian Service Award (Highest DOD Civilian Honor) for developing and managing the Navy’s crane and rigging training program.
Society and Technical Memberships
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- ASME Board of Safety Codes and Standards, member
- ASME B30 Safety Standards for Cableways, Cranes, Derricks, Hoists, Jacks and Slings, main committee member
- ASME P30 Planning for Load Handling Activities, main committee member
- ASME B30.9 Slings, subcommittee member
- ASME B30.23 Personnel Lifting Systems, subcommittee member
- ASME B30.26 Rigging Hardware, subcommittee chair
- ASME B30.24 Container Cranes, subcommittee member
- American Society of Safety Professionals, member
- NCCCO Lift Director Task Force, former member
- NCCCO Lift Director Management Committee, former member
- Crane Institute Certification (CIC) Lift Director Exam Committee, former member
- NCCCO Certified Rigger
- NCCCO Accredited Rigger Practical Examiner
- NCCCO Certified Signalperson
- NCCCO Accredited Signalperson Practical Examiner
- NCCCO Certified Overhead Crane Operator
- National Instutitue for Automotive Service Excellence “ASE” Certified Mechanic
Our Reputation for Excellence
Dave Decker is known by clients, students, and industry leaders to deliver well-organized and comprehensive expert opinion reports, training, presentations, and consultations with safety in mind. He explains complex crane & rigging issues in a way that is interesting, informative and understandable.
As an expert witness, Dave Decker is a reliable professional with vast industry knowledge paired with extensive experience in litigation support. In the classroom, he uses hands-on presentations to explain OSHA regulations and ASME standards. An interesting array of supporting photographs, interspersed with occasional humor and anecdotes keep people engaged.
He delivers a level of service and understanding of the issues that is rarely found.
Knowledge of the Crane & Rigging Industry
Dave Decker serves on numerous ASME crane & rigging committees and subcommittees helping to improve industry standards and regulations as products and work practices become even more complex.
We apply our broad knowledge of the crane & rigging industry to all service areas. Dave has experience in many aspects of the industry including crane operations, rigging, crane inspection, crane audits, crane and rigging training, consulting, public speaking, expert witness and training program development.
We use our technical expertise to assist our clients in developing reliable programs and procedures. We will work with you to enhance the safety of your crane & rigging operations and mitigate risk. Becket regularly updates and monitors course curricula – ensuring our courses reflect the latest industry standards and regulations.
This technical knowledge brings insight and clarity to accident investigation and all stages of crane & rigging expert witness services and consulting.
Personal service from world-class crane & rigging experts
- Your call always answered by a crane & rigging expert
- Customized training programs tailored to your needs
- Prompt response to your emails
Contact us today to arrange for an initial consultation or to learn more about our services.